Did you know chicken salad has been around since 1863? It’s been a mainstay recipe for 150 years. It’s a great and cost effect way to use leftover chicken, and is one of those wonderful staples.
With summer right around the corner, moist chicken with crisp, fresh fruit and vegetables is a healthy and decadent treat. Served with fresh fruit on the side and Parmesan cheese shavings, this light and creamy recipe is sure to please.
Replacing regular high in fat mayonnaise with a low-fat olive oil version turns this recipe around to a light, heart friendly meal.
If you don’t have much time to prepare a quick meal, this recipe takes no more than about 10 minutes to prepare, and can be refrigerated in an airtight container.
Most of us enjoy going out to eat lunch during the work week; it’s a great way to unwind from the hustle for a bit, but it’s expensive. On average, an individual meal can cost between $5 -$10 a day, or about $30 – $50 a week.
This recipe, using leftover chicken cost $1.43 a day or $8.78 a week, netting a weekly savings of about $21.22 – $41.22. Who doesn’t love saving money?
Below for your convenience is a shopping list of the items you will need to create this dish.
- Roasted Chicken Leftovers
- 1 Apple
- Olive Oil Mayo
- Pita Bread Halves
- Cucumber Slices
- Baby Spinach Leaves
- Mixing Bowl
Chicken & Apple Pita Salad Recipe
Servings: 12 (1/4 cup salad, 1/2 pita)
202 Calories 7.7г Fat
- (3) pounds Roasted chicken leftovers
- 1 Apple peeled, cored and cubed.
- 5 Celery stalks, sliced
- 1/2 cup Olive oil mayonnaise
- 12 Pita halves
- Baby spinach
- 5 Carrots, shredded
- 1 Cucumber, sliced
- Cut your chicken leftover into cubes, place in bowl.
- Add chopped celery and apple. Lightly mix.
- Add 1/2 cup of mayonnaise in parts to your liking. Mix.
- Salt & pepper to taste.
- Place a small amount of shredded carrots in the bottom of pita.
- Next, gently add baby spinach leaves to one side.
- Add 1/4 cup of chicken salad.
- Place cucumber slices on the opposite side.
- Garnish with fresh Parmesan
For variations, add grapes, sliced walnuts or almonds, and boiled egg whites. Also, you can serve the salad on lettuce leaves or in a wrap.[ad_2]