Moving Abroad – Using Your iMac Computer in Europe

Moving to a new country is a fun and exciting experience, but there can be numerous technology challenges associated with relocating abroad. If you own an Apple iMac computer, you may find replacing the main power cord a bit of a challenge.

Unlike most of Apple’s products, the iMac can’t use the popular World Traveler Kit, which comes with plug adapters for six different countries. Why can’t the iMac use the adapter kit? The iMac doesn’t have a removable plug (or the white box that plugs into the wall). Instead, it’s one thick power cord from the back of the computer/monitor to the wall.

What complicates the situation is the it isn’t possible to buy a European power cord for your iMac from Apple in the United States. It cannot be purchased in Apple stores, online or over the phone. If you aren’t in a rush to use your computer when you arrive, you can purchase a cord over the phone in your particular European country.

But, if you need to be up and running soon after arriving, it’s important to purchase your new cord for your iMac before departing. Thankfully, there are a handful of online retailers that provide access to generic European power sources and that can be purchased in the United States. The key is knowing the proper search terms to find and purchase the product.

Here are three search phrases we’ve used to find the right product:

  • European power cord for computer
  • PC european power cord
  • Computer plug for use in Europe

Since it’s not possible to test your new power source before you leave, it may be prudent to visit a computer store in your new country of residence to ensure that you’ve purchased the correct product.

Rabins Sharma Lamichhane

Rabins Sharma Lamichhane is senior ICT professional who talks about #it, #cloud, #servers, #software, and #innovation. Rabins is also the first initiator of Digital Nepal. Facebook: rabinsxp Instagram: rabinsxp

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *