Photo from PorchWindowsDirect
Originally Posted On: Do Memory Vinyl Windows Block UV Rays? – Porch Windows Direct
Do vinyl windows block UV rays?
Clear vinyl windows offer a wonderful alternative to both acrylic and glass panels. These panels are constructed from a flexible, thick, and durable clear vinyl material. The lightweight panels are an excellent choice for sunroom windows, three-season porches or decks, or any other backyard retreat you may have constructed. Our favorite type of vinyl window panels is the EzVue memory vinyl windows. They can easily give you up to 75 percent ventilation in your sunroom. With safe heating, you can enjoy your EZVue multi-season room in cooler months. These are lighter in weight, more affordable than glass, and are easy to use, remove, and clean.
And yes, our vinyl windows block UV rays; up to 98% of the sun’s damaging rays.
Characteristics of vinyl windows
Vinyl windows are made from polyvinyl chloride, referred to commonly as uPVC. PVC is a form of synthetic plastic polymer and arguably one of the most desired forms of polymers today. One most commonly finds PVC being used in industrial applications – construction and plumbing – and has niche usage in window design.
PVC has versatile structural integrity. It can be either rigid or flexible. The rigid form is called RPVC. The material used to make windows is uPVC which stands for unplasticized Polyvinyl Chloride. Conventional PVC cannot be used for doors and windows due to its chemical composition. uPVC is the preferred material as it does not consist of phthalates or BPA, rendering it environmentally safe.
Advantages of memory vinyl
There are many advantages of Porch Windows Direct memory vinyl windows and doors. The very first of them being that our products are custom-built to your specifications from Porch Conversions in North Carolina or Ohio. Porch Windows Direct products are made in the United States with love.
- Other benefits of vinyl windows are important to consider when doing a remodel or new design on your home’s porch or outdoor living spaces. Amongst these benefits are the fact that the material does not fade. This might be one of the most important benefits! This quality is owed to its chemical composition. All you would have to do is wipe the window with a clean cloth and dust it once in a while and it will look as good as new.
- Memory vinyl windows block UV rays. That’s right, our Porch Windows Direct vinyl windows and doors block 98% of the sun’s damaging rays. This is a major consideration when weighing out the benefits of vinyl vs. plastic or glass windows.
- Vinyl windows also have the inherent ability to be heat resistant. Additionally, they don’t let the heat escape from within homes as well. This makes vinyl windows a good option for homes in places with extreme weather conditions and can be used all year round.
- Due to the last point about being heat resistant, vinyl windows help you save money all year by being energy-efficient installations in your home.
- Vinyl window products last long and are durable enough to stand up to winter weather conditions. Vinyl windows do not crack, warp or peel when subjected to harsh sunlight. They are also mold/fungi resistant.
- Vinyl windows can also be great insulators of noise. With the curtains or blinds drawn in a year-round porch or outdoor living space, the private affairs inside the space can generally stay inside and vice-versa.
How do vinyl windows block UV rays?
A misconception about vinyl windows is that they do not block UV rays. This is because vinyl windows are often associated with ‘plastic’ which usually melts or peels off due to exposure to UV rays. The sun is extremely powerful and has the ability to burn our skin, cause cancer, and cause sickness despite its ability to fade fabrics, rot furniture and destroy finishes. UV-A, UV-B, and UV-C are some of the harmful types of UV rays, UV-C being the most threatening of all.
However, the notion that Vinyl windows are not UV resistant is simply incorrect. uPVC windows usually have a special coating that gives them protection from UV rays. this coating not only protects the occupants from exposure to sunlight but also gives the windows that fresh and unstained look. The coating is part of the manufacturing process.
How to use vinyl windows & doors
There are a variety of ways our memory vinyl windows open which will allow you to enjoy your three-season porch or outdoor living space for spring, summer, and fall, regardless of where you live.
- Opening from the bottom will provide a really nice breeze.
- Opening from the top will help keep the rain out while allowing air movement.
- Opening from top and bottom to allow air movement without feeling a breeze.
We offer five-frame colors to ensure a custom match to your home. The color choices are white, tan, clay, bronze, and black.
Vinyl FlexiGlaze colors
We offer a range of FlexiGlaze shades from clear to bronze to fit your unique needs. Glaze colors help control the amount of light that enters the room.
Contact Porch Windows Direct
So, it is possible to transform your deck, patio, porch, or screen room into a three-season room with working memory vinyl windows. With a variety of screen, vinyl, and color options, these windows and doors will help create the perfect environment for your three-season room or outdoor living space. You can now enjoy being closer to nature throughout much of the year while your new vinyl windows block UV rays, rain, snow and wind for a comforating outdoor living experience.