Nepal Electricity Authority (NEA) is preparing to install smart lights in the streets of Kathmandu and Lalitpur. In conjunction with the metropolitan and sub-metropolitan offices, NEA will establish smart lights to improve the city’s night view. The authority intends to install smart lights from the Tribhuwan International Airport to Kalanki and Koteshwor, and on the roadways in the Narayan Gopal Chowk area.
Smart lights in Kathamandu and Lalitpur:
Initially, NEA aims to install 90W and 120W streetlights. In total, 2,078 smart lights will adorn the valley’s street, with 1,227 of them being 90W and the rest being 120W. The majority of these lamps will fit on existing infrastructure but almost 270 lamps would require new construction.
Similarly, 1,400 smart lights will lighten up the streets of Lalitpur. This consists of 239 60-watt and 1,161 90-watt bulbs. In addition, 200 high mast lights will be installed in 15 different locations.
Lalitpur has provided seven routes to connect smart lights. These lines include Satdobato-Harisiddhi, Satdobato-Dhapakhel, Satdobato-Sunakothi, and Ekantakuna-Bhaisepati-Bungamati area. Moreover, paths connecting Bungamati Dobato and Rato Machhindranath Temple, Khokana Dobato and Rudrayani Temple, and Khokana Pass Park and Bungamati Temple are also part of the project.
Tender on the process
NEA has already sought bids for the installation of smart street lights on these roads in Kathmandu and Lalitpur. The contractor selection for Kathmandu is nearing completion, while bids for Lalitpur have only recently been solicited.
After signing the contract, the authority aims to finish the installation procedure within a year. The contractor should also handle maintenance for the next five years.
Birat Sharma, a representative from NEA, says that the authority will contribute 40% of the entire cost, while the remaining 60% cost will come from Kathmandu Metropolitan and Lalitpur Sub-Metropolitan office.
What are the advantages?
Smart lights at the road will have a direct connection to NEA’s servers. Once linked, the administrator has the ability to switch on and off the smart light. In addition, NEA can monitor power use and request tariffs without any manual intervention. It saves time and requires less manpower.
- Meanwhile, check out our long-term review of the OnePlus 9.