Photo from Getty Images
Originally Posted On: https://frenchradiance.com/blog/skin-care-tips-from-professional-esthetician/
Your skin is the largest organ of your body, covering an area of more than 21 square feet. It is responsible for protecting you from the elements and harmful microbes, as well as regulating your body temperature. Your skin allows you to experience the sensation of touch and can sense hot and cold.
Given the important role this organ plays in your life, it makes sense to seek the advice of a professional esthetician to find out how to properly care for your skin and keep it looking vibrant throughout various life stages. The following are some key skin care tips from a professional esthetician to help keep your skin healthy and radiant.
Great Skin Begins on the Inside
We have all heard the saying, “True beauty comes from within.” This is especially true when it comes to skin care. One of the most universal skin care tips from a professional esthetician centers on maintaining a healthy diet, including proper levels of hydration. To get optimal results from the rest of your skin care routine, you need to prioritize what you put in your body.
What to Eat for Beautiful Healthy Skin
Your diet goes a long way in determining the health of your skin. Eating highly processed food and foods high in sugar may contribute to skin problems. Many professional estheticians recommend reducing the amount of sugar in your diet and increasing the number of anti-inflammatory foods such as fresh berries, salmon, green tea, turmeric, and mushrooms, among others.
By feeding your skin from the inside with clean, whole-food choices that are free of chemicals and other toxins, you can improve the condition of your skin. Eating more vegetables, fruits, and lean proteins can reduce the overall stress on your skin and whole body.
Make Proper Hydration Part of Your Skin Care Routine
Staying properly hydrated is an important part of your overall well-being. You should aim for a minimum of 8 glasses of water each day. Staying properly hydrated will keep your skin looking plump and firm. It will also decrease the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
Exercise Your Way to Better Skin
Exercise is extremely beneficial to maintaining your overall health, including your skin. Exercise can be especially beneficial to your skin care routine by increasing blood flow and removing toxins from the body via sweating. Excess toxins can lead to clogged pores and dull, unhealthy skin. Spending time in nature and getting fresh air will also do wonders for your skin.
Clean Your Skin Properly
Photo from Getty Images
Cleansing your skin properly is the foundation of an effective skin care routine. Your skin type and your lifestyle and preferences will guide the steps and products you use to clean your skin. The most important thing is to clean your face daily. One of the best skin care tips from a professional esthetician regarding this step is not using hot water. Hot water can damage your skin by drying it out and result in premature signs of aging. Instead, use lukewarm or cool water.
Cleansing should be a two-step process — remove makeup and then deep clean your skin. Use a gentle makeup remover to remove all traces of makeup from your face. Follow that up with a cleanser suited for your skin type. A clean washcloth can be an excellent tool for cleaning and exfoliating. Toner is the next step, followed by serums that target your specific skin needs. A skin care specialist can help you find the right product. Finally, don’t forget to moisturize!
Create a Routine and Stick With It
Once you create a skin care routine, it is important that you maintain it. You should follow the same routine each day and night. Avoid switching products. Once you find a product that works for your skin, keep it. Your skin care routine needs to be completed in a specific order to be effective. Clean, tone, apply any serums, and then apply a moisturizer.
Be Kind to Your Skin
Being kind to your skin means being gentle. Avoid excessively scrubbing your face and using harsh exfoliants and other skin care products that can damage the skin. One of the top skin care tips from professional estheticians is to never pick at your face. Using excessive force to pick at pimples, scrub your face, and scratch your skin can lead to scarring and other damage. This can also transmit grime and germs to your skin.
One of the most important things you can do for your skin is to use a quality moisturizer. Moisturizing your skin helps to reduce wrinkles, improve dull-looking skin, and other signs of aging.
Mask and Exfoliate
You should use a mask and exfoliate your skin at least two to three times a week. Avoid using excessive pressure when exfoliating. Instead, consider products that can gently remove dead skin. Masks are a great way to target intensive nutrient treatments to your skin.
Adjust Your Skin Care as You Age
Photo from Getty Images
Your skin care should evolve and change as you age. What works in your 20’s may not be enough in your 60’s. The following are a few suggestions for skin care adjustments according to your age:
- In your 20’s: At this stage, your skin care routine should include using a really good cleanser, exfoliating your skin regularly, and applying a lightweight moisturizer, along with sunscreen.
- In your 30’s: Include alpha hydroxy acids and glycolic acid in your skin care regimen. You should also find a really good eye cream.
- In your 40’s: Schedule a professional facial regularly. You should also consider anti-aging skin care products and treatments to keep your skin looking young.
- In your 50’s: You may begin to encounter skin changes due to hormonal fluctuations. A professional esthetician can recommend specific treatments for hormone-related skin changes and offer suggestions for age-related reparative treatments.
- In your 60’s and on: Continue focusing on maintaining a healthy lifestyle to maintain skin cell production. Your skin may benefit from a heavier moisturizing regimen. You may also want to consider retinoids or vitamin C skin regimens.
Insider Skin Care Tips From A Professional Esthetician
In addition to the commonly cited tips for maintaining healthy and youthful skin, these are a few insider tips worth noting:
- Sleep on your back to reduce wrinkles.
- Keep your hair away from your face.
- Make sure your pillowcases are clean.
- Keep your eye cream refrigerated.
- Frozen peas and cold cucumbers are great for reducing inflammation.
- Use your ring finger to apply products to sensitive areas since it will have the least amount of pressure.
- Hang your head upside down for 3 minutes to improve blood circulation.
- Adjust your skin care routine with the change in seasons.
- Avoid excessive sun exposure, wear a hat, and use sunscreen. Use SPF 30 or higher.
Schedule an Appointment With a Professional at French Radiance Esthetics
It is important to have a professional esthetician evaluate your skin to get an accurate picture of the condition of your skin and your unique skin care needs. A professional can determine the type of skin care regimen that will suit your needs and recommend specific products that can help you achieve long-lasting youthful skin. They can explain how and when to use specific products, and show you how to do it properly. When you book an appointment with French Radiance Esthetics, owner Axelle will design a professional skin care regimen suited to your individual beauty needs.