A miniature snap-action switch is generally known as a micro switch. This small component is responsible for a lot of work in many appliances, machinery, etc. A large action movement is produced by a slight snap action in the actuator in this type of switch. These switches are responsible for changing the direction of power.
Components and Construction of Micro Switch:
This tiny setup has several ways to be constructed to deal with a range of situations in electrical devices. The components and functions are not complex, but its use is crucial.
A microswitch consists of three contact points (one movable and two stationary), an actuator assembly.
The outer body is made of polyester or other thermoplastic variants.
The three contact strips; common is on the bottom while the NC and NO are on one side placed parallel. These strips have a hole at the open ends to solder the wires easily.
The actuator is a hinged wheel and a pushbutton combined to change the states of the switch. The resting position is NC, and the pressed position is NO position.
The tensile strip is taken out from the movable assembly shaped like an inverted ‘U,’ which acts like a spring to the movable contact for pressing it and then bringing it back to rest when the actuator’s force is removed.
The points mentioned above are sufficiently legible to know the construction and working of the snap-action switches.
Types of Micro Switch:
- Basic Micro Switch: Basic switch is suitable for detecting the presence and absence in situations where contact is presumable. They are compact in design and highly durable. This switch allows high precision and the lowest possible failure.
- Micro Limit Switch: Limit switches are manufactured with different actuators, specifications, and sealing ratings. They’re suitable for detecting the presence and absence in places where physical contact is allowed. These switches are superior in performance and very specific in functioning.
- Safety Switch: These microswitches are majorly used in places that follow global safety standards operate. They are used in OEMs (Original Equipment Manufacturers). Safety switches are manufactured in various sizes for and designs for small, heavy, and large doors.
- Subminiature Micro Switch: The subminiature micro switches are small in size, but their electrical load range is wide from logic level to power duty switching. They can be combined with various stainless steel levers to be suitable for various applications such as copy machines, Refrigerators, Hospital beds, etc.
- Micro Toggle Switch: These switches are highly robust, resistant to dust, and waterproof. They are preferred in several fields due to their customizable features. Toggle switches are popularly used in OEMs in the agricultural and construction industry, armored vehicles, aerospace, etc.
- Pushbutton Switch: They are available in several series with different features such as watertight, panel sealed, short travel, etc. Pushbuttons are very useful in light and mechanical industries.