Web Development in 2018
This article is about “Web Development” for anybody who has zero knowledge about coding and wants’s to pursue their career in Web Development in 2018. This article will help who already know about web development kind of things and are working as front-end developers. Before you start becoming a Web developer you should know about certain technologies involved in this process. Let me explain the things you should know to become a Web Developer.
HTML and CSS
- Text Editors like Windows Notepad, Notepad++, Sublime Text, Atom.io or other IDE ( I use Notepad++ and Dreamweaver depending upon the situation)
- Image Editors like Photoshop, Illustrator, GIMP or others. (I prefer Photoshop and some light web tools also).
- FTP/SSH like FileZilla, Putty etc. (I’m using FileZilla with Putty Extension).
- Browsers like Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Apple Safari (I don’t even think about other browsers at all). For mobile use any browser.
- Cloud Storage like DropBox or Google Drive or anything. (I use my own cloud.) This is not mandatory for all but knowing anything is a good thing.
BUILDING OR SETTING YOUR FIRST WEBSITE
- Web Hosting – There are lots of web hosting provider out there. I recommend you to take any shared web host as they are cheap and it’s perfect for starter or learning.
- Cpanel – Learn about Control panel basics like setting up Email accounts and File Transfer Protocol (FTP), SSH, etc.
- Upload – Learn how to upload your website contents via FTP and also try to learn using SSH. I recommend using FileZilla.
- Domain name – Register a new domain name and then forward Nameservers (NS) of the host you bought in #1. Then the web page is accessed via the web browser when you type your domain name in the address bar.
This is a lot easier than learning any web programming language.
You just completed deploying your first website and now it’s time to turn to give a good look to your website uploaded in #4 above. Practice more and more to make beautiful and professional looking websites. You don’t need to use lots of add-ons but simple and clean professional website is good enough for making some decent money. Make some User Interface for small companies, turn their image into beautiful websites. Remember, you had learned HTML and CSS Now, it’s time to show your skill here converting PSD to HTML and CSS contents. Try doing freelancing to earn some decent money. Well, it will be enough paying for your shared web hosting bills.
- Zurb Foundation – I also use this one.
SERVER-SLIDER PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE
- PHP – most of the biggest websites are using PHP with MySQL database.
- Node.js – it’s a framework
- Ruby on Rails – it’s a framework too.
- Python – not popular for web but easy to learn.
- MySQL (Relation database)
- PostgreSQL (Relation database)
- MongoDB (Non-relation database aka NoSQL)
- CouchDB (NoSQL)
- ColumnDB (NoSQL)
If you learning PHP choose MySQL and for Node.js go for MongoDB.
MORE THINGS TO LEARN
- GIT Version Control and Github
- SSH and Basic Command Line
- CSS PreCompilers like Sass or Less
- APIs and REST servers
- HTTPS and SSL
SETTING A WEB APP
You need the following technologies before you start deploying a web application.
- Virtual Private Server (VPS) or Dedicated Server
- App Hosting servers like Heroku, Digital Ocean and Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Server Deploy Tools
- Linux Command Line (as most of the servers run on Linux OS)
- Maintenance and Updates
If you learned all this these from the beginning to up to here then you are called as a Web Developer. This means now you can create simple to advanced web applications, build backend APIs/REST, work with servers, manage admin databases. Now you can start freelancing or start your own business.
Programming frameworks help to speed our programming job. Some of the programming frameworks are:
- PHP Frameworks – Laravel, Codeigniter, Symfony
- Ruby on Rails
Most of these frameworks have certain design pattern called MVC which stands for MODEL-VIEW-CONTROLLER. MODEL is the part of an application that works with databases, VIEW works with User Interface (UI) and CONTROLLER handles the routing and database mapping, helpers, data binding, templating and UI.
CONTENT MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (CMS)
PHP content management systems or CMS is one of the most popular tools used in the web world. Some of the best CMS examples which can be used without knowing the programming languages to some extent are:
It is quite easier nowadays as there are thousands of Plugins and add-ons for these CMS. It saves your times and helps in faster development. Most of the plugins come from free to paid versions. The most popular CMS is WordPress which I also personally recommend you.
MOBILE APP DEVELOPMENT
PROMOTE BUSINESS/MAKE MONEY/MAKE IT A CAREER
Technology is dynamic each year, new innovations happens. So you should update yourself and sharpen your skills. There are more competitors in the markets so keep your eye on other high-level languages like Java and C#. At least have some idea about the latest technologies that exist around the internet.
If you have any queries, ask me using the comment box below, I will try my best to help you learn about web development easier.